Competing demands, hectic lives, and not enough hours in the day mean people often sacrifice sleep to make life happen. Not getting a full 8 hours of sleep, can leave you looking less than your best.
Sometimes there is no other way to get your work done, or take care of a sick child, but to pare down sleep to 4-5 hours. Your looks should not suffer just because of a lack of sleep. Here are some tips to look good after a sleepless night.
Do a 15 minute Yoga workout
No, we’re not mad: Yoga will help you wake-up and feel more relaxed and invigorated. Do a few basic Sun Salutations: the Downward Facing dog will help the blood flow to your skin, making you look a lot better!
Cucumbers are your friend.
Through the magic of cool cucumbers placed on your eyelids, your tired eyes will look well-rested and not puffy. Do this five minutes. The best way to prepare your cucumbers is to cut them in advance, and place them in the freezer. This will quickly reduce the swelling of your eyes.
Put the cucumbers on your eyes for five minutes before bed and again for five minutes in the morning after waking up.
Moisturizers And Massages
Because not sleeping enough makes everyone appear haggard and older, using a moisturizer will combat the aged look. The skin tends to lose its color and appear pale without sleep.
Find yourself a quality moisturizer that is made specifically for your skin type. Be sure to massage it into your skin to improve circulation and look more fresh and awake. Massaging will also help return the color to your face.
Lighten Up On Makeup
Overdoing the makeup after a sleepless night will only magnify all of your flaws and fatigued skin. Trade in your foundation for a BB or CC cream for light coverage that will brighten your skin at the same time.
- Use a highlighting concealer such as YSL Radiant touch on your under eye area and line the inside of your eyes with a nude or pearl eyeliner to combat any redness.
- Don’t skip the eye-shadow: Colors like caramel, gold and copper will perk up the eyes and make you look more awake. Avoid dark colors: they will only emphasize dark circles.
- Open up your eyes by curling your eyelashes and applying a slick of mascara. If your don’t like eyelash curlers, try the new Benefit Roller lash mascara, which lifts and curls the lashes and lasts for 12 hours! Get it from Amazon.com
- Use a pink or peach blusher on the apples of your cheeks to appear more healthy.
- Last, but not least: finish with a bright lipstick or gloss
Wear Brighter Colors
Lighten up your face by wearing brighter colors. Dark colors will wear your face down and emphasize those dark under-eye circles.
Keep it lively and lighten the look up those nights you do not sleep well.
Tip: If you’re like me and love to wear black, invest in a champagne or nude colored (silk) scarf to brighten your face and look less tired.
The next night, make it a point to get sufficient sleep. There are honestly only so many hours in the day. If you go about life without sufficient sleep you will continually have to tend to this huge ritual to not look tired. You will save at least 20 minutes per day not having to mess with cucumbers, different clothing, and different makeup routines.
Consider reading before you go to sleep, and getting off of electronics one hour before hitting the hay.