Is your child running a little late on their speech and language development? Well, a good set of toys may just be what you need to sharpen your little one’s mind and get him or her talking. To ensure you make the right choices, here are a few tips for choosing the best toys for toddlers with speech delays.
Simple Is Best
The toy industry is filled with a ton of “educational toys” that claim to teach kids everything from numbers and letters to shapes and colors. Some even claim to teach nursery rhymes and songs!
While the idea behind these toys is noble, they don’t do much to help a small child, who’s just discovering the world of talking, to develop his/her speech.
Not all toddlers need to learn numbers, letters, or colors urgently since complex words may be a little too much for their young brains.
Instead, you should encourage them to grasp basic concepts like hello and bye, in and out, yes and no, big and small, and so on.
The next time you’re in a toy store, skip the aisle with flashy educational toys and go for something a little simpler like a little voice recorder or karaoke type toy.
Such toys get your child to actually try talking or make sounds, which is what you want when dealing with delayed speech.
- The Babble and Rattle Microphone amplifies your child's voice; shake the toy microphone rattle to build motor skills and hear fun sounds and phrases
- Baby musical toys promotes fun and learning; The puppy button encourages them to sing along and features 60+ songs, melodies, sounds and phrases
- Turn the ring on this fun baby rattle to introduce twelve different animals and their sounds or hear playful melodies
- 75+ songs, sounds, tunes & phrases
- Puppy’s hands, foot, ear, and light-up heart respond to baby’s touch (5 activations in all)
- Teaches 100 first words & introduces parts of the body, shapes, counting, the alphabet and more
- Spinning moves get baby (and BeatBo DLX) in the groove!
- Multi-colored lights around his belly and back create a 360-degree light show as BeatBo DLX spins
- BeatBo DLX bobs his head & shakes his hips to the beat
Last update on 2020-11-25
Go for Flexible Toys
The best toys for toddlers with speech delay are those where your child “does the doing” and not the other way around.
For instance, you do not want a monkey toy that makes noises but rather a toy that encourages your child to make the noises. This makes toys with no “beginning, middle, or end” a great choice.
Such toys can be used in an endless number of ways and therefore allow your child complete freedom in how to play with them. This freedom in play in turn gets your kid moving, thinking, and talking.
A few examples of flexible toys include Legos, cars, wooden blocks, train trucks, kitchen play sets, etc.
- 50 ALPHABET AND 123 BLOCKS: The Melissa & Doug Deluxe Wooden ABC/123 Blocks Set features 50 traditionally-styled one-inch wooden alphabet blocks that...
- EXCEPTIONAL DEVELOPMENTAL TOY: Our ABC blocks are excellent for toddlers and preschoolers to develop strong skills including matching, stacking, sorting,...
- SUPERIOR QUALITY: Melissa & Doug ABC building blocks are made from high-quality solid wood and feature charming hand-painted artwork. They are an excellent...
- The exciting rolling action of Bob the Train Push-N-Zoom Pals gets little ones moving!
- Push the top down to make back wheels spin and watch it go!
- 2-pack includes Bob the Train and Fire Truck Push-N-Zoom Pals
- Premium & Safe Material - Constructed by solid pine wood and MDF, our Costzon kitchen play set is durable and stable for your baby to play. Plaint in paint...
- Realist Details - With Costzon pink strawberry kitchen, the little chef in your home will be busy cooking up some creativity. This kid-sized kitchen has...
- Storage Space - There is large space to storage enough cookware. When you open the door, there are two layers . The sink is removable for easy clean up.
Last update on 2020-11-25
Think Outside the Box
Toys are not the only things that teach toddlers how to communicate. You’re also a great source for teaching your child how to talk.
Kids learn speech and language by watching the actions of others, listening to those around them, and imitating the sounds they hear.
The next time you go toy shopping, think outside the box and go for toys that will allow your participation.
- Meet learning friends Turtle, Tiger and Monkey who will introduce more than 100 age-appropriate words chosen by learning experts
- Word categories include: pets, animals, food, mealtime, colors, activities, opposites, outside and more
- Touching the words on the pages plays the words, sound effects and fun facts; hear the Learning Friends theme song and My Favorite Word by pressing the...
- 【WELL MADE】: This is a fun voice changing and recording microphone toy. It is really well made of hard plastic, and lightweight easy for small hands...
- 【VOICE CHANGING FEATURE】: The voice changing function also add so much fun! The microphone will record your voice and make it high pitched and low...
- 【RECORDING FEATURE】: You can use the microphone to record your voice and play it back over the speaker. It can record 20 seconds. Kids love to play...
- LEARN-ALONG SONGS: A whopping 18 songs (10 classical and 8 nursery rhymes) are preprogrammed! Kids will love playing along and learning something new.
- ONE INSTRUMENT, ENDLESS POSSIBILITIIES: This awesome toy is an all-in-one band stand. Choose between xylophone, guitar, trumpet, or piano sound effects !
- NUMBERS, COLORS, ANIMALS LEARNING: It’s not just an instrument— it’s an early education powerhouse. The rainbow keys are a quick and easy way to...
Last update on 2020-11-25
Alternatively, you can simply exercise your creativity and invent games where you sing to your kid, talk in a funny voices, teach your child play moves, etc.
There are so many toys in the market that promise to teach speech.
Some are effective, while others do not teach much except maybe a little cause-and-effect where your little one learns that pushing a button delivers noise.
Knowing how to distinguish the good from the bad will help save you time and money. So, keep the above tips in mind and you will be able to know which toys to pick.
More Toys for Kids
- 15 Toy Advent Calendars for Kids
- Disney Frozen Snow Glow Elsa Toddler Doll Review
- Hot Christmas Toys 2020 – 2020 Toy Gift Guide
- L.O.L. Surprise! Boys Arcade Heroes
- NERF Rival Nemesis MXVII-10K Blaster
- LOL Surprise Remix Clubhouse Playset
- Best Motorcycle Rocking Horse
- Monster High Freak du Chic Gooliope Jellington Doll Review